Want to write a non-fiction book?
Writing a nonfiction book is a big undertaking, but it can also be incredibly rewarding.
We have written and published many non-fiction (and fiction) books. Some are under our name and others are under a pen name to keep the niches separate.
Not only can it establish you as an expert in your field, but it can also be a great way to share your knowledge and experience with others. Whether you’re looking to write a how-to guide, a memoir, or a work of investigative journalism, there are a few key steps to take when writing a nonfiction book.
In this blog post, we’ll go over the basics of how to write a nonfiction book and what you need to know to get started.
The benefits of writing a non-fiction book
- Establishing yourself as an expert: Writing a non-fiction book can establish you as an expert in your field and help you gain credibility and authority.
- Building your brand: A non-fiction book can be a powerful tool for building your brand and promoting your business.
- Generating passive income: A non-fiction book can generate passive income for you, as it can be sold multiple times, for years to come.
- Gaining new clients: A non-fiction book can help you gain new clients and customers by positioning you as an authority in your field.
- Networking opportunities: Writing a non-fiction book can open up new networking opportunities and help you connect with other experts in your field.
- Personal growth: Writing a non-fiction book can be a valuable personal growth experience and help you gain a deeper understanding of your subject matter.
- Showcasing your expertise: A non-fiction book is a great way to showcase your expertise and help others learn from your experience.
- Improving your communication skills: Writing a non-fiction book can help you improve your communication skills and make you a better speaker and writer.
- Building your online presence: A non-fiction book can help you build your online presence and attract more visitors to your website
Research and Planning
The first step in writing a nonfiction book is to define your niche and target audience. This will help you determine the focus of your book and ensure that it appeals to the right readers. Once you have a clear idea of your niche and audience, you can start conducting thorough research. This will help you gather the information you need to write your book and ensure that it is accurate and credible.
Ideas for researching your nonfiction book idea:
- Searching online bookstores and Amazon: Look at the bestselling books in your niche and pay attention to the titles, authors, and descriptions. This will give you an idea of the types of books that are currently in demand.
- Searching for keywords: Use tools like Google Keyword Planner or SEMrush to research keywords related to your book’s topic. This will give you an idea of the search volume for specific keywords and phrases, which can indicate demand.
- Conducting surveys: Reach out to your target audience and ask them about their interests, needs and problems. This will help you to identify the most common questions they have and understand what they are looking for in a book.
- Online communities: Look for online communities like forums, social media groups, or even Reddit to get a sense of what people are talking about in your niche. This will give you an idea of the topics that are currently popular and what people are looking for in a nonfiction book.
- Analysing competitors: Look at your competitors’ books and websites to understand their positioning and messaging. Pay attention to the reviews and ratings of their books, and see if there are any common themes among them.
- Look for industry reports or market analysis: There are many reports or market analysis that can give you an idea of the trends, bestsellers and forecast in your niche.
- Look at book clubs, podcasts or webinars: Many book clubs, podcasts or webinars discuss nonfiction books, it can give you an idea of the books that are currently popular and how they are being received
After you have done your research, it’s time to start outlining your book. This will help you organise your thoughts and ensure that your book has a clear structure. Having an outline will also make the writing process smoother and more efficient.
How to outline a nonfiction book
Outlining your nonfiction book into chapters is an important step in the writing process. It will help you organise your thoughts, keep your writing on track, and ensure that your book has a clear and logical structure.
Here are some tips for outlining your nonfiction book into chapters:
- Start with the big picture: Begin by outlining the overall structure of your book. This should include an introduction that sets the stage for your book and a conclusion that wraps up your main points.
- Break it down into sections: Once you have the overall structure in place, start breaking down your book into sections. These sections should each cover a different topic or theme related to your book’s main topic.
- Divide sections into chapters: Next, divide each section into chapters. Each chapter should cover a specific subtopic or aspect of the section’s main topic.
- Use headings and subheadings: Use headings and subheadings to help guide your readers through your book. This will make it easier for them to follow your argument and understand your key points.
- Use examples and anecdotes: Consider using examples and anecdotes throughout your book to help illustrate your points and make your book more engaging.
- Make a list of your chapter’s main points: Make a list of the main points you want to cover in each chapter. This will ensure that you don’t miss anything important and that your book stays on topic.
- Review and revise: Finally, review your outline and revise it as needed. Make sure it flows logically and that each chapter builds on the one before it.
Remember that the outline is a working document, and it can change as you develop your book. The most important thing is to have a clear structure and the main points that you want to cover
Writing the book
Now that you have your research and outline in place, it’s time to start writing. One of the most important things to keep in mind when writing a nonfiction book is that consistency is key. Create a writing schedule that works for you and stick to it. This will help you stay motivated and focused as you work on your book.
Another important aspect of writing a nonfiction book is to make sure your book is compelling. Use storytelling techniques, use examples, and make sure your book is easy to read. Additionally, make sure you use a language that is accessible to your target audience.
Revising and Editing
Once you’ve finished writing your book, it’s time to start revising and editing. Start by self-editing your work and getting feedback from beta readers. This will help you identify any areas that need improvement and make sure your book is as good as it can be.
After that, professional editing and proofreading are a must. Not only will they help identify mistakes and inconsistencies, but it will also improve the readability and flow of your book.
Formatting and layout are also important aspects of the editing process. Make sure your book is formatted correctly and that it has a consistent layout. This will help to make your book look professional and polished.
Publishing and Marketing
Once your book is complete, it’s time to start thinking about publishing and marketing. There are two main options for publishing a nonfiction book: traditional publishing and self-publishing. Traditional publishing involves submitting your manuscript to a literary agent or publisher, while self-publishing allows you to publish your book independently.
Regardless of which route you choose, it’s important to have a marketing plan in place. This can include things like building an author platform, creating a website, and using social media to promote your book.
Writing a nonfiction book can be a challenging but incredibly rewarding experience. By following the steps outlined in this blog post, you can ensure that your book is well-researched, well-written, and well-promoted. Remember to be consistent, stay focused, and don’t be afraid to ask for help. And once your book is published, the rewards will be many, from the positive feedback from your readers to the passive income it will bring in month after month.
By the way…
Don’t let the thought of writing a non-fiction book hold you back.
We will do it for you – yes really!
Let us take over and turn your existing content into a polished, professional book that’s ready to upload and start earning you passive income. (or if you have an idea what you want to write about, let us know)
We completely take the stress out of it.
From stunning book covers to compelling titles, we’ll provide you with everything you need to make your book a bestseller.
Plus, we’ll enhance your reputation and authority in your field.
Don’t wait, take advantage of our special bulk order discount and let us help you turn your passion into profit today!
Learn more by clicking here for more information
Vicky and Claire x
- Write a Nonfiction Book: Tips and Tricks for Success
- Step-by-Step Guide to Creating a Compelling Novel Outline – Unlock the Secrets to a Strong Storyline!
- From Idea to Epic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Fantasy Fiction
- 10 Tips for New Authors: How to Get Started on Your Writing Journey
- Don’t Wing It: The Benefits of Plotting Your Novel Before You Write